Thursday, December 10, 2009

Pondering the Future

Each of my kids contemplates the future occasionally - what they want to be when they grow up...where they might go on their missions. Tanner is my only one, however, who actively ponders (out loud, anyway) who he might marry and what she'll be like. This is a frequent conversation with Tanner. He's always been a romantic at heart.

Just two days ago, we were driving along the freeway in Phoenix when he earnestly said, "I WISH I knew who I was going to marry and what my kids will look like."

I glanced at him out of the corner of my eye and saw him gazing out the window. This was the 2nd time he'd made this exact same statement in the past few days.

Then he said, "Do you think I'll get married, Mom? I mean, do you think I'll live long enough?"

I started to get this big stitch in my stomach, but suddenly I had the glimmer of an inspired thought, so I answered with a question of my own, "What do you mean? You're worried something might happen to you, or that, like, the world will end before you get a chance to get married?"

In a matter-of-fact (actually, slightly "Duh!") tone he responded, "You know, that the world might come to an end first."

Sometimes, Tanner is simply a 12-year-old boy.

By the way, Lyn? Thanks for taking Tan to see '2012' last week. Yeah, right back at ya, babe. For the record, I'll be taking Ellie to see 'Cujo' and 'Alien' for her 4th birthday. Sweet dreams.

Love from the farm,
Teri

No comments:

Post a Comment