Thursday, August 4, 2011

Chicken Smarts

I'd love to believe these friendly little chickens we're raising are not only affectionate, but also brilliant.


Don't they just look like little smarty pants? All bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, as it were?

Well, truth is, I'm sure they are very smart, in their own special way. Just not in the way that keeps one of them from repeatedly flying into the front window in an attempt to join us inside the house.

I want to give the pretty little critters a fair shake. I'm sure their intelligence will emerge in other areas.

Lots of other areas.

Plenty of other areas.

OK, maybe just in one or two areas.

Oh, who cares.

As long as they like me, and I like them, and they start putting out some eggs in the next few months, that's enough for me.

Love from the farm,
Teri

(P.S. In the interest of full disclosure, the chickens in question have grown a lot since that picture was taken in May. I just don't have a current photo. I'd say, "I will soon, though," but I'm just not sure that's really going to happen anytime soon, so I better play it safe.

Also, I believe chickens are smarter than they're given credit for in some circles. I really do. I'm just left to ponder what is UP with the Dilbert out front who keeps flattening his feathered cheek against my picture window. That's all. )

2 comments:

  1. Chickens are such fun! I love the picture - such cuties! We are raising our first flock of chickens and just got our first egg a couple of weeks ago. That egg brought ridiculous excitement around our house. I agree, chickens are much smarter than most non-chicken people realize!

    Lana
    www.FarmLifeLessons.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is nothing like discovering that first, little egg. I love it with every young layer. Can't wait to get ours this season! Cheers! Teri

    ReplyDelete