Monday, September 7, 2009

My Favorite Life (Email Classics)

Written July 7, 2009

I just dropped Adam at Mom's in town so he can get up early to do her neighbor's yard. After I passed the brightly lit ball fields, the quiet county fairgrounds, bumped over the railroad tracks and crossed over the bridge, I had the road pretty much to myself.

I drove down our country lane, with my arm hanging out the window of Mike's big red truck. The bright moon cast the trees lining the road in silhouette and the sky along the horizon was that amazing deep blue that's just shy of midnight and glowing as if backlit. It's cool enough to provide a little relief to my arms and face, which are stinging from the burn I earned gardening and taking the kids to the pool.

When I pulled into the driveway, I just sat there for a few minutes looking at the warm lights burning in the house, through the window seeing the heads of my three little ones huddled on the loveseat in my room, and listening to hear if the horses are murmuring down at the corral - one of my very favorite night sounds here. And, I realized - once again - that I love it here, that this is an idyllic night, and I'm so glad we came home.

My heart and life are full. Wish you were here.

Love from the farm,
Teri

No comments:

Post a Comment